BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA – The Mike Slive Foundation is bringing the spotlight to prostate cancer in November with its annual Beyond Blue fundraising event, but this year it is going virtual. On the evening of Thursday, November 12, 2020, at 6 pm CST, attendees will join co-hosts Laura Rutledge (ESPN/SEC Network) and Mike Tirico (NBC Sports) virtually for the third annual Beyond Blue event, presented by Medical Properties Trust.
This year, the Foundation is honoring board member and prostate cancer survivor Charlie Perry. A native of Birmingham, Charlie attended Washington and Lee University. He co- founded Highland Associates in 1987, which was acquired by Regions Bank in 2019.
Charlie has a long history of making many significant contributions to the Birmingham community. His leadership in the fight against cancer, and his own personal battle with prostate cancer, is testimony to the tremendous time and effort he has contributed to the cause of beating cancer.
The event is free to watch. Registration is required to participate in the auction. Guests will enjoy special guest appearances by John Calipari, Andy Kennedy, Nate Oats, Michael O’Neill, and Bruce Pearl, as well as a virtual auction filled with experiences and sports memorabilia.
A few of the live auction items include:
- 2-Night Stay at the Luxurious Carmel Valley Ranch with golf and vineyard tour and wine tasting at Holman Ranch Wine Vineyard
- 4 tickets to the New York City Ballet presents George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker with backstage tour (for December 2021)
- A trip to the College Football Playoff National Championship in Miami
- Golf with Auburn Basketball Coach Bruce Pearl or Alabama Basketball Coach Nate Oats
- A week-long stay in the mountains of North Carolina with golf and meals at the Elk River Club and golf at Grandfather Golf & Country Club
A few of the silent auction items include:
- Maker’s Mark Limited Edition Blue-dipped bottle
- An autographed football by the Manning “boys”
- Manchester United Autographed ball signed by Sir Alex Ferguson
- Virtual “Coffee with the Commish” with SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey or Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren
- Private Lobster Dinner at the Fish Market with Chef George Sarris for 10
- Dinner and wine for four at Frank Stitt’s Bottega Restaurant
- Virtual cooking class with Iron Chef and owner of Hot & Hot Fish Club Chris Hastings
- Various wines donated from private collections
“We are excited to take our third annual Beyond Blue event virtual,” said Anna Slive Harwood, Executive Director. “My father was a tremendous leader in college sports, especially during challenging times. He would want us to find a way to bring people together to raise money for prostate cancer research. Now Beyond Blue will be a national event. We had tremendous success with our Virtual I’m With Mike 5K over Father’s Day weekend with over 600 registered participants representing all 50 states. We hope even more will join in November for this special event honoring Charlie, an incredible man that we are proud to call a board member and friend. Prostate cancer affects one in nine men, and African American men are twice as likely to die from it. My father’s vision was to educate men and their families and help save lives. Together, we will move beyond the blue ribbon and end prostate cancer.”
Legacy sponsors for Beyond Blue include Burton Advertising, Edwards Chevrolet and Urology Centers of Alabama. Leader Sponsors include Buffalo Rock-Pepsi, the Birmingham Business Journal, Michael Vizzina Design, and O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center at UAB.
To register and watch Beyond Blue 2020, visit BeyondBlue.GiveSmart.com. To interview a representative from the Mike Slive Foundation, contact Heather Jeffcoat at 205-515-1972 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mike Slive Foundation endeavors to become a global leader in the fight to eradicate prostate cancer through public awareness and research funding in memory of Mike Slive, a transformative leader whose vision and direction revolutionized the business of collegiate sports.
About the Mike Slive Foundation
The Mike Slive Foundation for Prostate Cancer Research was founded in Birmingham, Alabama, by attorney Ed Meyerson and former SEC and Conference USA Commissioner Mike Slive. Composed of local business, medical and political leaders, the Foundation’s mission is to save lives by funding cutting-edge research and by raising awareness of prostate cancer. The Mike Slive Foundation is a new weapon in the fight against prostate cancer. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @MikeSliveFdn.
Director of PR & Social Media